API Key

The HTTP & Python API
mitchell.lotierzo

API Key

Post by mitchell.lotierzo »

What exactly is the API key used for in regards to each user? I see a lot of warnings in 3ds Max where this key is not found.

Thanks,
Mitch

andrew
Site Admin

Re: API Key

Post by andrew »

Hi Mitch,

In NIM 2.5 you have the option to turn on Require API Keys. This, paired with HTTPS only access, provides secure API access with user restricted security. API Keys respect the users security groups and will provide access only to those items the user shares a group with. Items (jobs, assets, shots, custom fields) that do not have a security group assigned are accessible by all. If Required API Keys is turned on and a user does not have a key they will not have access to the API.

Each user can have their own API key with expiration date. This is created in the Admin/Users info panel. Edit the user you wish to provide and API to and click the Update API Key button. A new API key will be generated. When Require API Keys is turned on in Admin/Security/Options the connector will authenticate the user with this API key and an input dialog will appear on the next connection attempt. The connector always looks for a key whether or not Require API Keys is set, however if shouldn't be an issue if one isn't found.

Since 2.5 is in beta, let me know if you're actually seeing an issue where the warning is preventing the connector from working properly. If there is an over abundance of warnings, which you're probably seeing at every request, we could silence them.

Thanks,
Andrew

mitchell.lotierzo

Re: API Key

Post by mitchell.lotierzo »

Okay, I understand now. I guess it would be best to silence them if our studio isn't using that feature.

Thanks!