Photoshop Connector Bugs & more suggestions

Discussions related to all NIM connectors.
kaiserlicht

Photoshop Connector Bugs & more suggestions

Post by kaiserlicht »

Hi!

We've discovered two small problems with the PS connector:
- TIF elements export disregard their settings. For example when I set it to "disregard layers and save a copy" it will still save a layered Tif.
- After Publishing a dialogue appears and asks if I want to revert to the working version which is nice. But it should also close the Published PSD so they don't pile up after a while.

In general I don't really understand the concept of Publishing here. In my understanding Publishing means creating a file without version which is always supposed to be the latest. Right now publishing is simply a version up with _PUB added in the filename for both the work file and the exported elements. The only reason for it to be here is the option to export elements not on each and every version up but only on publish. But wouldn't it be better to replace "Publish" with an "Export Elements" function? Because right now every time I want to export my elements I have to publish which will also version up my files which then means I have to update the paths in the App I'm using the Elements in (Maya or whatever) as well each time. I want to be able to export my elements without having to version up so I can see the result directly somewhere else.
The other option would be to do a proper versionless publishing to begin with. So both the published work file and elements don't have a version number and are always up to date.
I hope this makes sense...

Cheers,

Felix

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Photoshop Connector Bugs & more suggestions

Post by andrew »

Hi Felix,

Thanks for the feedback on this. I agree with all points. The intended method is to create the versionless version when publishing so you don't have to update your downstream paths. The concept of choosing when to save the export elements (always, on publish, never) was to provide a convenience option assuming most people would not want to create the exports everytime. However I think the addition of an Export Elements menu option without needing to version or publish is a great suggestion.

We'll take a look at why the versionless files aren't being made and why TIF isn't respecting the settings.

Thanks,
Andrew

Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Hey Felix,

What version of the connectors are you using?

Publishing files within Photoshop does create a versionless symlink in the current version of the connectors, v1.3.2. You may need to update to the latest version if this isn't working for you--you can download updates via the "Downloads" section of the client portal.

Versionless symlinks are not created for published export elements, however. This is something we plan to add soon. We'll also be looking further into the other issues you mentioned.

Thanks,

-Kyle

kaiserlicht

Post by kaiserlicht »

Hi!

We're using the latest version I think: 1-3-2-160427. I just re-installed the extension, it doesn't work for me. How would you create a symlink on Windows anyway? I think I had the same discussion on Maya Publishing a while ago. Probably versionless symlinks are not supported in windows?
I've attached a screenshot as well.

Cheers,

Felix
Attachments
ps_connector.JPG
ps_connector.JPG (66.96 KiB) Viewed 1095 times

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew »

Hi Felix,

The symlinks are created by the NIM VM and are available when using a linux or OSX based project server. Windows will read the symlinks as regular files. If the project server is using a Windows OS then symlinks are not available. However, in our other connectors we have an option to not use symlinks, but to make versionless copies instead. This was not implemented in the current Photoshop connector. We are in the process of moving this option from the connector to the server so that based on your project server type, the VM will automatically take the appropriate action and the functionality will appear identical.

Are you using a windows based project server?

Thanks,
Andrew

kaiserlicht

Post by kaiserlicht »

Hi Andrew!

Yes, we're using a Windows 2012 project server. A versionless copy would be perfect, looking forward to this functionality.

Thanks!

Felix

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew »

Ok, great. We'll keep you posted on the progress.

Thanks,
Andrew