Maya Connector and Referencing

Discussions related to all NIM connectors.
MarceMan

Maya Connector and Referencing

Post by MarceMan »

Hello,
at the moment I am checking out the Asset Publishing and Referencing workflow in Maya, but some weird things are going on:

I modeled an asset and published it. Now I got a new file with the Ending _PUB.
But when I tried to reference it in another scene and filter for "Published" nothing appeared in the list.

Then I published it again, this time I unchecked "Pub SymLink".
With this option unchecked(!), a master file was written at the root level of the task folder.

If I try to reference the file now, the master file appears in the list and I can load it into my scene.

But that really does not work for us, because if a new version of an asset is published, the referenced file automatically is overwritten and gets updated in the every scene.
If this happens, when the scene is currently rendering on the farm, everything gets screwed up.

So the best way would be if NIM notified me when opening the scene, that there is a new version and asked, if I want to load it, or keep the old one.
Another way would be to reference the versioned "_PUB" file, but I am not able to do this via the NIM browser.

Is this a bug? Or maybe not intended to work that way? Maybe I did not understand the way this system works...

Thank you!

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Maya Connector and Referencing

Post by andrew »

Hello,

When you publish a file the default behavior is to create a versionless symbolic link to the published file. If publishing from within Maya you will see 2 files created, a working file that follows the version naming convention (ie. ball_model_v01.mb), an additional publish file with _PUB appended (ie. ball_model_v01_PUB.mb). At the asset root, a versionless symlink will be created, in this example called ball_model.mb. The symlink will always point to the latest published version, and yes, will automatically update your scene.

If you do not want the publish to automatically flow upstream you can reference the versioned file directly by selecting the "Work" filter. At this time we do not have an alert that indicates a new publish is available, but absolutely is something we can look into providing.

It is odd that there was nothing in your published files list. After setting the Filter as "Published" and choosing the appropriate Task, are you saying that no Basenames appeared in the list? If this is the case can you verify that the version appeared as published on the asset within NIM?

The behavior does operate differently when Opening vs Referencing Published files:

When Referencing a file using the Published filter, you select the Basename for which to load the versionless file and click the Reference button. In this case, you are not presented with the option to reference a specific version. To reference a specific file, use the "Work" filter. There currently is not an interface to reference the PUB files directly. We can look at adding that ability to the Referencing UI.

When Opening a file using the Published filter, you select the Basename and then have the ability to choose the specific PUB version to open.

Thank you,
Andrew

MarceMan

Post by MarceMan »

Hallo Andrew,
thank you very much for your explanation.
Now it has become much clearer to me.

So I just have to reference a "work" file. I thought that the "PUB_"Files were for referencing and was wondering why they didnt show up.

As a suggestion, the best solution for us would be, to reference a "_PUB"-file (because it can no longer be changed) and get an alert, if a PUB file with higher version was created.

There is one issue left: When I publish a file with "Pub Symlink" on, no versionless file gets written. If one exists, it is deleted. Then I am not able to reference this file in the reference dialogue, no base name shows up.

If I uncheck this option it works like it should and in the Reference dialogue under "published" I can find the versionless file.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew »

Hi,

Glad I could help make that clearer.

There definitely should be a versionless file with Pub Symlink. Can you tell me what type of server OS you are running for your project server?

-Andrew

MarceMan

Post by MarceMan »

Hi Andrew, our file server is running windows.