Hiero Error Exporting Nuke Script

Discussions related to all NIM connectors.
christianlett

Hiero Error Exporting Nuke Script

Post by christianlett »

Hi,

I'm using Hiero 11.2v3 on Windows 10 to set up a sequence, as per the NIM Nuke Studio video, using the NIM Plates & Comp preset.

Everything is working mostly perfectly except for the Nuke project file generation (The NukeShotExport subtask), which fails.

The Hiero log shell gives the following info:

ERROR 15:48:06.539:Hiero(14968): NukeShotExporter.taskStep
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files\Nuke11.2v3\pythonextensions\site-packages\hiero\exporters\FnNukeShotExporter.py", line 808, in taskStep
return self._taskStep()
File "C:\Program Files\Nuke11.2v3\pythonextensions\site-packages\hiero\exporters\FnNukeShotExporter.py", line 1044, in _taskStep
self.writeTrackItem(script, firstFrame)
File "C:\Program Files\Nuke11.2v3\pythonextensions\site-packages\hiero\exporters\FnNukeShotExporter.py", line 960, in writeTrackItem
firstFrame)
File "C:\Program Files\Nuke11.2v3\pythonextensions\site-packages\hiero\exporters\FnNukeShotExporter.py", line 924, in writeTrackItemCustomReadPaths
includeEffects=self.includeEffects())
File "C:\Program Files\Nuke11.2v3\pythonextensions\site-packages\hiero\core\FnNukeHelpers.py", line 709, in _TrackItem_addToNukeScript
includeEffects=includeEffects)
File "C:\Program Files\Nuke11.2v3\pythonextensions\site-packages\hiero\core\FnNukeHelpers.py", line 409, in _Clip_addToNukeScript
binItem = self.binItem()
RuntimeError: This Sequence or Clip does not have a parent BinItem

NIM lists the "Nuke Project File exported from NukeStudio" against the shot's FILES tab as you'd expect but the actual Nuke project file is not created on disk.

I noticed that the most recent export preset is for v11.1, and we're using v11.2, but I doubt that is the issue as both 11.0 and 11.1 presets are identical.

One other thing that's happening is that the plates are being listed more than once under the ELEMENTS tab. The number of times is arbitrary, and changes each time I've re-run the test. The most recent time there are six identical plate elements listed against one of the shots.

I can't see anything I'm doing wrong - the only difference is that I'm using Hiero rather than Nuke Studio. We don't have any Nuke Studio licenses so I can't test it using that software.

Thanks, Christian

christianlett

Re: Hiero Error Exporting Nuke Script

Post by christianlett »

Further experimentation has revealed the problem lies with setting the read node within the Content tab of the Nuke Project File. If I don't have anything selected the Nuke export works fine. However choosing the Nuke Write Node output (i.e. use the rendered plates instead of the raw footage) causes the Nuke Shot Export to fail.
nim_hiero_export_fail.JPG
nim_hiero_export_fail.JPG (184.12 KiB) Viewed 380 times
BTW this is an amended export preset to match our own file structure.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew »

Hi Christian,

Thanks for the update on this. I'm glad to see you were able to sort it out. Every now and then NukeStudio/Hiero makes changes to their export process code that could cause such issues. We'll take a look to see if this is something that needs to be updated with the connector or if this is how Hiero would behave regardless of NIM.

Cheers,
Andrew

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew »

Hi Christian,

We looked into the code and this appears to be an issue with NukeStudio/Hiero. Removing NIM from the equation this same error will happen with the default nuke export if you direct the read node to a transcode. We are going to post an update for the connectors that removes this from being the default. There were also some minor code changes to the exporter but I don't think you will see a difference from the current behavior.

Cheers,
Andrew

christianlett

Post by christianlett »

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the update, and for looking into this. I'll continue looking into a workaround at this end.

Christian

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew »

No problem. Not sure if you've done this already, but I'm going to file a bug report with the Foundry and see what they have to say.

Cheers,
Andrew

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew »

Hi Christian,

I just wanted to update you on this. I submitted the ticket to the Foundry and it has been logged as an official bug will all Nuke/Hiero versions starting in 11.2. You can follow updates on the bug at the Foundry's site here:

https://support.foundry.com/hc/en-us/ar ... 74beb9d87f

Cheers,
Andrew