Programatically Upload Dailies

Questions related to dailies and edit review tools and notes.
ninglesby

Programatically Upload Dailies

Post by ninglesby » November 8th, 2016, 8:51 pm

Hello,

I was wondering it was possible to upload files to dailies via the python. The idea is to upload after a render completes, however we are not using deadline(we are using smedge), so the pre-built plugin will not work. I was poking around in the NIM.py for the deadline plugin and I think I could possibly make it work it work for us, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Nate

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Programatically Upload Dailies

Post by andrew » November 8th, 2016, 11:26 pm

Hi Nate,

Yes, this is possible. Deadline uses python to do this exact function. The NIM.py file is the right place too look as it has examples of the upload code calling the HTTP API function uploadMovie. Our 2.5 API, coming soon, will include a native uploadMovie function to simply the python process. 2.5 will also include the ability to upload whiteboard notes to dailies if creating notes outside of NIM. If you need help we're happy to provide you with a trimmed down example of exactly what you need.

Cheers,
Andrew

ninglesby

Post by ninglesby » November 9th, 2016, 3:42 pm

Hey Andrew,

Oooh I am excited for 2.5! For now I trimmed down version would be awesome. If there was a way I could pass the function the requisite information to identify the task (side note are taskIDs globally unique or just unique within their parents), the path to the .mov file, and the option that is equivalent to the red-eye button I would be a very happy camper.

Thanks!

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » November 9th, 2016, 7:14 pm

Hi,

Basically yes, but it's not as straight forward in versions before 2.5. Currently when submitting through the API you have to add a render to a task first, which is logging the original source frames of the render, and then upload your dailies. The reason for this is the dailies and renders are associated through a unique render key. This works a little differently than the UI upload which makes a free association with the task. Also, yes, taskIDs are globally unique in your instance of NIM.

So the currennt steps would be:
Add a render sending the taskID, a unique renderKey, a renderName (there are more values to set but these are the bare minimum)
Upload dailies sending the jobID, taskID, renderKey, and path to movie

The 2.5 API will allow you to just directly upload a movie bypassing the need to add a render by just sending the taskID and the path to the movie.

We don't currently have it in the API an option to set the review state (green eye) but I'm sure it's something we can add before 2.5 is released.

We'll put together an example script for you and I'll upload it here.

Thanks,
Andrew

ninglesby

Post by ninglesby » November 9th, 2016, 7:21 pm

:D :D :D

Thanks!

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » November 11th, 2016, 3:35 am

Hi,

Here is an example script that provides functions to add a render to a task and upload a dailies file to the task.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Andrew
upload_dailies.rar
(2.75 KiB) Downloaded 57 times

ninglesby

Post by ninglesby » November 11th, 2016, 3:46 pm

Thanks Andrew!

This is great, It's on my schedule to implement this afternoon or tomorrow. I'll let you know if I have any questions but it looks pretty straight forward.

Thanks Again!