General feedback on biddingtool

Discussions related to the financial sections of NIM including Bidding, Expenses, Actualization, Invoices, & Studio Financials.
filiplange

General feedback on biddingtool

Post by filiplange » July 9th, 2018, 1:39 pm

Hey there.

I will post very different points, we want to feedback in this post.
If it is easier, feel free to separate the answers:

Speed:
I noticed a huge performance drop, when working on a bigger bid.
We checked the server performance, but couldn't find any issue or performance peek.
The performance drop is significant and it is really a show-stopper. We need twice as long, as in our other tools, because of waiting time at the “drop down menu” or “save-freezing”.

Grouping and Items:
Some questions to the overall work in the biddingtool:
  • Why is there no possibility for manual ordering?
  • Can we add automatic numbering of groups? (or headlines)
  • Why is there no easy way to exchange from / to excel?
    -We could use a excel form preset for initial setup the bid.
    -Then Import the table to NIM Bidding
Dublicate bidding groups:
A: We need a possibility to copy/duplicate completed bid templates inside the bidding process.
Scrolling up to the top of the website, then click on bid template, and then scrolling back down again is a mix of slow and annoying.
A good reference for this are to do- apps… They developed a nice and smooth way to setup big lists with easy drag and drop sorting, duplication or removing of items.

B: Deactivation of bidding groups.
We need a possibility to deactivate groups and elements. Not only to delete them.
Bidding is based on a fluent discussion and trading with our clients.
I really like to see, what is happening below the line, by deactivation several elements or complete groups, to discuss cost-benefit equation, while we are on phone with the clients.

C: Hide groups:
While working on long Bids, we would like to “lock and hide” groups or items.
I would like to “lock and hide” all setted rows for a better overview and safety.

Usability experience while working in the bidding tool:
I´ll try to explain my workflow:

A: I select a Bid template.
B: Then rename to group (to the desired name. All bid items get the new name)
C: Then I fill the days and hours in the quantity fields.
  • Usability issue A: filling the quantity fields is very slow, because we need to select the different fields manually. I would like to select the first field then press “Tab” on the Keyboard and switch to the next quantity field below. (so Tab moves vertical)
  • Usability issue B: We need to freeze the upper row, holding the “Add Bid Items / Add Bid Template” in sight all the time.
    We always need to scroll up and down like a champ, while adding items to the list. That costs a lot of time.
  • Usability issue C: The scrollingbar / sidebar: The scrollbar disappear (because of the look/theme of NIM)
    Especially while working on long lists, this content sensitive behaviour is time consuming.
    Everytime I want to scroll, I wait several seconds for the scrollbar to appear again.

PDF Formatting:
A: Can we have “lines”, “breaks” or “paragraphs” to sort, format or divide the Bid visually?
Sometimes we need to separate blocks/groups from another.

B: pdf export: Is it possible to keep “Bidding Groups” together and not get spread over two pages in the pdf?

Thank you very much.

Cheers

Filip
Filip Lange
nhb-studios
Vfx Supervisor

andrew
Site Admin

Re: General feedback on biddingtool

Post by andrew » July 9th, 2018, 5:42 pm

Hi Filip,

Thank you for the very detailed feedback. I agree with all of your points! We are actively making some bid changes to bids that should address many if not all of your issues. Speed is huge and currently the issue is not server side but client side. We are changing the way you will interact with bids allowing you to work with many items at once. The goal for the changes are speed and flexibility. Modifying multiple groups at once, creating many groups at once, disabling groups and items, and more PDF options are all targets for the update. You really hit the nail on the head for our design goals with the new changes. If you are interested in participating in the upcoming private beta, please email support and we'll make sure you are notified as soon as we have more details to share.

Thanks again for the feedback... it's all very helpful and appreciated.

Cheers,
Andrew

filiplange

Post by filiplange » July 10th, 2018, 9:35 am

Hey Andrew,

thank you for the quick feedback.
We are looking forward to see the new version soon:)

Cheers

Filip
Filip Lange
nhb-studios
Vfx Supervisor

quang.tran

Post by quang.tran » October 18th, 2018, 3:26 pm

Another point is, that we urgently need different price lists. That's really important for us and actually slows down our company wide integration, as our studios use different price models for different clients. A simple example are prices for agencies vs. production companies. I think it was already announced "early summer 2018", but 3.0 features nothing into that direction. Any updates here?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » October 19th, 2018, 6:04 pm

Hi,

The overhaul to bidding was pushed to NIM 3.1. Part of that update will include rate tiers that will allow you to have different price lists as needed. Currently one workaround for this is creating a starter bid in an in house job will all of the rates set for your particular client. You can then import this starter bid into a new job instead of creating a bid from scratch so that all of your rates are set at the start.

I hope that tip helps in the meantime while we work on the full feature set.

Cheers,
Andrew

quang.tran

Post by quang.tran » October 25th, 2018, 2:45 pm

Ok, so when can we expect a 3.1 update? We don't wanna invest time in teaching 15+ producers, when an overhauled system is on its way.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » October 25th, 2018, 9:25 pm

3.1 is targeting early next year. The core fundamentals will be the same so it won't be wasted time for you. Think of it more as added layers/features that will live on top of the existing structure. It's not so much a new way of working as it is more flexibility in the way you work.

-Andrew