Project number starting with character

Setting up a job including servers and selecting project structures, and task folders.
hani

Project number starting with character

Postby hani » October 21st, 2015, 2:39 pm

Is it possible to add one character before the job number and control the length of the project number itself? Our projects start with F and have 4 numbers after.

Kyle

Re: Project number starting with character

Postby Kyle » October 21st, 2015, 7:48 pm

Hi Hani,

At the moment job numbers can only contain numbers, and in many places throughout NIM they are displayed as 5 digits, so leading 0s will be added if you set a job number with less than 5 digits. By default, a job number starts with the last 2 digits of the current year, and the remaining 3 digits are a count of all jobs that year. So your first job in 2015 will be 15000, the second will be 15001, etc.

We do plan to make job numbers more customizable, but we need to figure out the best way to accommodate everyone's different numbering formats.

-Kyle

hani

Postby hani » October 21st, 2015, 8:20 pm

Thanks for that Kyle. In my view I don't see automated job numbering as a good thing. I'd prefer to set the job details myself since we're working across different systems.. production, Flame, Maya, Nuke, etc. To have them all align to an incremental job number will be a problem, especially since bidding for jobs and confirmation of projects can take a while, if you know what I mean. Having an option to assign the job number is a lot more flexible.

Kyle

Postby Kyle » October 21st, 2015, 8:46 pm

That makes sense. For now, you can always change the default numbers that we assign to jobs (by clicking "info" next to a job in the job list and editing it), so you can keep jobs in the order that you like.

A system that might work for you until we allow letters in job numbers might be to number jobs with the 4 digits after the F. If you'll have jobs with different starting letters, you could replace the letters with numbers for now--so 1 could be F, 2 could be M, 3 could be N, etc... at least that would allow you to keep your general numbering system, and you'd be able to more easily convert them back to letters whenever we add that feature.

-Kyle

andrew
Site Admin

Postby andrew » October 27th, 2015, 5:26 pm

Hi Hani,

Would a job number prefix and suffix field work for you? We are looking at making the auto-increment optional by default as well as some custom increment options.

Thanks,
Andrew

Return to “Job Configuration”